Danish at DTU
Enrolment for Autumn courses at DTU will open this summer.
Who can apply?
Speak provides intensive Danish language courses at all levels for foreign students, employees and their spouses at DTU in Lyngby. We provide courses for students and courses reserved for employees.
Participation requires that you have a Danish civil registration number (cpr-number).
“The course is definitely fantastic! The improvement is measureable after every class. We are learning a lot and reasonably fast, not only the Danish language, but also we are having a crash course on the most important aspects of the Danish culture. Our teachers are highly qualified and have experience with students from different countries. The fact that the course is held at DTU is also very convenient for those that – like me – enjoy long hours in the lab.”
Jose M. G. Izarzugaza
Ass. Professor, Systems Biology, Spain
You will learn Danish in a classroom setting with other students or employees who are at the same level as you. The courses are organised as classroom teaching twice a week or blended learning, i.e. attendance once a week supplemented with online teaching.
The courses are based on the Danish you need in your everyday life at DTU, and you will quickly be able to communicate in Danish both day-to-day at the university and when you are off. Teaching you good pronunciation is a key priority in all course modules. The lessons are held at the DTU campus in Lyngby.
Danish Language 3
Our Danish language courses at DTU are organised as Danish Language 3 courses, consisting of 5 + 1 modules. At the end of every module, you may sit a module examination. The courses comply with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Danish Language 3 Examination
You can finish module 5 by sitting the Danish Language 3 Examination. Read more on the examinations and what they provide access to here.
Danish for Scandinavians
We have developed a special Danish language course for Norwegians, Swedes and Icelanders who already speak some Danish. We offer modules 3 and 4 as blended learning (i.e. partly online). The course will be held provided that we get enough enrolments.
We also offer intensive Danish language summer courses at DTU in the month of August. The courses last 3 weeks and are for both students and employees.
During the summer course you will learn to speak Danish and you will meet other international students and employees from DTU and hereby expand your network in Denmark. Every week you can sign up for an optional excursion and spend more informal time with your classmates.
- New courses begin during the first half of each semester.
Danish for students/employees:
- 2 x week : 17.30 – 19.45 : Mondays & Wednesdays or Tuesdays & Thursdays (modules 3.3, 3.4 & 3.5)
- 1 x week : 17.30 – 19.45 + online assigments : Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays (modules 3.1 & 3.2).
Danish only for employees:
- 1 x week : 17.30 – 19.45 + online assignments (module 3.2).
Danish for Scandinavians:
- Thursdays: 17.30 – 19.45 + online (modules 3 & 4). NB: Not available during Spring 2022
- 5 x week : 9 – 12.15.
- The courses are free, if you are eligible for Danish education. However, you must pay a one-off deposit of DKK 2000,-. See deposit rules here.
Rules relating to Danish language courses
You are required to complete your Danish language course within the deadlines of a so-called klippekort (a voucher system). This means, for example, that you have set deadlines to complete the individual modules of your course and the course in its entirety:
– If you are a self-supporting student, the general rule is that you must complete your Danish language course within 3½ years.
If you have any questions relating to our Danish courses at DTU, please visit our coordinator:
- Even numbered weeks: Mondays from 2.15 – 5 pm, Building 101, International Student Services
- Odd numbered weeks: Thursdays from 2.15 – 5 pm, Building 101, International Student Services
Open from mid-January to mid-June and mid-August to mid-December.
Please fill in an enrolment form to get started.